ARE YOU POST VIETNAM?
THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN REGIMENT ASSOCIATION CAN ASSIST YOU GET BACK ON TRACK.
DO YOU THINK THE WORLD FAILS TO UNDERSTAND YOU?
ARE YOU INCLINED TO KICK THE FAMILY PET?
YOU MAY NEED A QUIET SPELL IN THE BUSH WITH OTHER VETERANS.
Vision: Trojans trek will be recognised as the most effective peer support wilderness based intervention which reconstructs the psychological health and well being of service and ex service personnel.
CALL MOOSE DUNLOP 0408 088 886
Below is a synopsis of the 2009 Trojans Trek written by Moose Dunlop
TROJAN’S TREK: INVITATION
A unique program aimed at assisting younger veterans adjust to the pressures of a new life outside or within the military will be conducted in the remote Flinders Ranges from 21 to 25 September 2009. The program was developed from the knowledge and experience gained from the conduct of a parallel program with similar objectives in the late 1990’s. The program was called Trojan’s Trek and was developed with assistance of veterans from the RAR Association and the Veterans and Families Counselling Service, VVCS. The program is conducted by ex RAR members and your involvement, if you commit, is in confidence.
The need for such an approach was obvious to those of us who had experienced the sense of loss and frustration caused by commencing a new life coupled with facing a society who did not understand our problems. It is true that some will adjust quite easily to these changes, but others for many reasons may feel isolated. It is the firm belief of the RAR Association that the older and more experienced ex-servicemen are in a position to offer assistance in a way which is not possible from other more conventional support systems. This is the background to the program.
Four earlier treks were run and all were evaluated by an independent authority. The results were positive in all cases and the Association believes that was due largely to the method of delivery. Not only was the environment and isolation a factor in the success, the program was delivered by men who have faced and overcome some of the problems which may face you now or in the future.
Having made contact with you, I would like to invite you to participate in Trojan’s Trek. I believe you will find the program most beneficial in providing guidance for the future.
One of the conditions of attendance is that you are a volunteer. This may appear to be an unstated parameter but we require your complete input and attention for the period spent at Moolooloo station. Should you accept, it will be necessary for you (and your partner if applicable) to attend a briefing prior to your involvement.
I know you will have many questions prior to your commitment. Much of the detail will be provided in the General Instruction and by the briefing. The following FAQ may assist you in your decision process.
- Q. Do I get paid during the project? A. No, leave from your employer is probably the answer.
- Q. Do I have to pay to attend? A. No, we will transport, feed and return you.
- Q. Am I covered for compensation? A. Yes, the RAR Association Public Liability Policy has been extended to cover the activity.
- Q. Will I receive mileage payments for attending briefings etc. A. No, unfortunately we cannot pay this element.
- Q. What if there is a family emergency, can I get home? A. Yes.
- Q. Do I have to take special gear? A. If you have a swag, belt and water bottles, compass and a day pack, that will be helpful. Otherwise we will supply.
- Q. What else do I take? A. All this detail will be provided, however no expensive equipment is required.
- Q. Is a shop handy if I forget something? A. No, what we or you carry is all we have. Note: the trek is alcohol and drug free apart from prescription drugs.
- Q. Can I be contacted during the trek? A. Yes a message may be left at the Shearer’s Quarters at Moolooloo.
- Q. Are medical facilities available? A. Yes, some staff members are qualified senior first aiders. Also access to the RFDS net is available.
There we have it, your invitation to take part in a unique project with 10 or so, others whom you will meet along the way. Please think carefully about your attendance and advise me by 28 August if you wish to come along. It will be more mentally challenging than physical and well within your capabilities. Past participants have enjoyed and benefitted from the experience.
If I can provide any further information please don’t hesitate to call or email. In the meantime read the information provided and let me know as soon as possible of your intent.
Please Visit www.trojanstrek.com